1/29/08

TV

http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/my-so-called-life-1896.jpg
You know that scene in My So Called Life? The one where Angela finally gets over Jordan and she’s dancing in her room while listening to The Violent Fems, she’s wearing shorts and a big old shirt and some flannel and her hair is all wild…I love that scene. I remember watching that scene. I remember watching it as a college student remembering what that feeling was like when I was in high school.
I’m watching the series via netflix. The first five DVD’s have driven me to tears with every episode. As I started the first show a huge smile crept across my face. The memories of watching Angela grow into herself and of me seeing myself in her flooded my mind. The first time I saw the series I was 4 years out of high school living in Ypsilanti. I hadn’t spoken to my school friends for years. This was a choice on my part. I wanted to get out of that time in my life so badly.
In high school I lived next door to my best friend. But at one point she got a boyfriend and things pretty much fell apart. That is one of MANY similarities I had with Angela. There was even a boy who I was friends with who I liked when he didn’t like me and didn’t like when he liked me. I know what you’re thinking; you’re thinking that we all had these circumstances in our lives. And you know what? That’s the beauty of this show! It’s like, relatable.

4 comments:

stephy said...

My best friend in high school lived next door and then got a boyfriend and we grew apart TOO! And I watched My So-Called Life in college TOO! Let's be friends. Don't you love the name RaeAnne?

tania said...

Oh! I loved that show! Hmm... thinking about netflixing it too :)

rachel said...

i just love relatable.

Anonymous said...

"I'm ugly."
A lone tear rolls down my cheek.