1/7/08

Snap shot

So today was the kids first day back to school after a L.O.N.G. vacation. Hazel was excited- August, not so much. I spent my day gathering fabric, etc for the PIF event and working out and taking Tank to the dog park.
After school we came right home and started back up with the after school routine of having a snack and doing homework. Once we had accomplished this I went downstairs to the laundry room/sewing room to start a little something. Tank is my constant companion and will follow me anywhere. If he's sleeping on the couch and I get up to go to the bathroom he wakes up, grunts and trots off to find me, so it was not a surprise to see that he had lumbered down the stairs to lay on the floor pillow behind my table. Shortly after this visit, Hazel came down to sit next to me and "organize the pins". She chatted with me about the fabric, the ribbon, the pins, school, Tank, Dot, and much more. I continued to sew and listen when I noticed that August was now sitting on the floor by Tank reading one of his many books.
Now folks, those of you who have not been to my house should know that the laundry room/sewing room is rather small. There's just enough room for the washer and dryer and the Ikea table top for my sewing machine. This was a tight fit. We were all sitting in this small room in the basement of the house. Rooms and rooms were left empty, rooms with comfy couches, or beds, or even rugs. Empty.
I paused for a moment and realized that my children were going through some sort of withdraw. They've been by my side for 14 days straight and today they had to be away from me for 6 whole hours.
I finished up my project, asked Hazel to finish up with the pins and had August let Tank outside. We then all moved upstairs to start dinner, where we would sit together and eat a meal.

2 comments:

tania said...

really, really sweet. i know i find the back-to-school to be an adjustment for me too. 6 hours away can feel like a long time after being together all day for so many days :)

rachel said...

that made me laugh out loud. what a perfectly written visual picture. imagine if trey walked in and couldn't find you, and then found you all huddled in the basement! that would've been hilarious! it's nice to be reminded that our kids actually do desire and need us :) and it's nice in those moments when they show it, unawares...