5/12/09

Partly Sunny Tuesday



Yup...the sun broke through again today if you can believe it!
Trey and I met up at noon to see Star Trek finally...liked it a lot.
Picked the dogs up after leaving them in their kennel all day.
Picked the kids up after leaving them at school all day.
Went to the dog park.
And that was our day.

Last night we had salmon with new potatoes and mushrooms. I looked over the recipe (from Cooking Light) and thought that August would probably be able to make this meal with me...so we set to work. He washed the potatoes and mushrooms and cut them all in half. He tossed them in olive oil and put them on the pan to roast for 20 minutes. He helped de-bone the salmon and get it ready to roast. It was pretty good. And I liked having him in the kitchen, I think he's really turning a corner in life where he has confidence and really wants to help.

Tonight Hazel and I made a salad (also from Cooking Light...thanks grandma Klier!). Now many of you know that my kids aren't very adventurous when it comes to trying new things...and salad really isn't a dinner item that they enjoy eating. This is a salad they will eat.
Hazel rinsed the lettuce and spinach. She mixed the red wine vinegar with the sugar and salt and pepper and olive oil, and then I cut the strawberries and chicken. The salad also calls for blue cheese (but I opted for goat cheese) and cashews. Yum!

3 comments:

tania said...

yum, inspiring.

i think it's funny that ez says he wants to be a chef when he grows up, yet he doesn't really help out in the kitchen. i think my mom put it right when she said he is all about "free-style...." like he'll want to go "invent" and make up his own sandwich, but not really want to follow a step by step recipe with me :)

also, believe it or not, us walsh's haven't had any salmon since we've moved back east (only white fish). that sounds yummy and i miss it!

boy, how's this for a long comment! anyhow, nice job in the kitchen jen and august! xo

bandwidow said...

I love having kids in the kitchen to help...and i think they're more likely to actually eat it! we had salmon too!

Jennifer said...

I think we're going to try to keep it up every Monday and Tuesday night...
Wednesday is difficult because August has Ultimate Frisbee right around dinner time so we're often trying to fit something in that night.
Thursday nights is burrito night and Friday night is pizza night...makes things so much easier.