3/18/08

WWSD?

So I'm driving the car with the kids in the back. We're just coming home from a visit to Starbucks after school (we occasionally do homework there). August and Hazel are chatting about something when I start to fade into their conversation. Hazel is talking about a project she is working on in school and August is not really interested in her silly kindergarten work right now. She asks something like, "...and do you know what color I will make it?" To which August, in his most uninterested voice says, "no and I don't want to know."
I jump into the conversation and say, "mmm, let's try that again. Hazel, ask August that question again and August, respond in a better way."
So Hazel asks the question again and August responds THE SAME! I pause and ask August if he'd like me to respond to his questions that way. "I don't know what you mean." So we role play. At the end of this session I say, "Do unto others as you'd want them to do to you." Then August says, "Let me guess, you read that on your starbucks cup right?"
Pause.
"Nope August, it's actually from the Bible..."

4 comments:

stephy said...

To me there was something refreshing about August's honesty with Hazel. But then of course it hurt her feelings. I think role playing was a good idea. I feel like I'm always trying to find the balance between respecting their honest feelings and teaching them what is kind. Then sometimes I scream in the car that they can't get hot dogs at Target. God help me.

Dana said...

That's AWESOME!!! What a crazy world this generation is growing up in...classic "you read that on a starbucks cup?"

Anonymous said...

HA! that is hilarious!!!

Anonymous said...

I get all my life's moral direction from my Starbuck's cup too!