4/9/07

such great plans


i had such great plans set out for our spring break this year. the kids and i were packing up to visit with my brother and sister-in-law out in sunny california. the night before we were to fly out the phone rang with bad news and we had to re-schedule our trip.
a full week with absolutely nothing to do.

thankfully an old college friend was coming for a visit, one that i would have missed out on had the kids and i gone to california. Matt Hudson, or Hudson as he was called back then, and his wife Sarah have some family in the area and fit us right in with their vacation plans.
Hudson was my brother's room mate for many years back at Eastern Michigan University as well as a band mate with my husband. we go way back.
on their first full day here we spent a few hours knocking back some yummy girly drinks in the back yard. the sun was out, the kids were playing and the adults were chatting about how we've all changed so much since our college days.
there was comfort in talking to Hudson. he knew me a lifetime ago. i would say something and he would laugh and comment that i sounded like my old self. i kinda liked hearing that.

we've all lived such varied lives. i feel like i've been at least four different versions of myself throughout my life. it's very self centered of me but i would love to get some key people from my past together and compare notes. what would my best friend from Chicago say about who i was when i lived there? what about that year i lived in Willowbrook, what would my closest friend say about me? and then there's my South Lyon life. i was fortunate enough to get together with some of my closest friends from there and was amazed at some of the things they remembered of me. life changes us. i have been changed and part of me wishes that i could have held onto the fractures of me that i left behind.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

too true...
me too.
xo rachel

tania said...

oh, jen. i am sorry your california plans fell through.

i was thinking about what a great easter we had together last year in your sunny yard. lots of great memories. let's make some more.

kustuck said...

i can relate. you move somewhere new, make new friends, and become another version of yourself...not even necessarily on purpose. it's interesting.

Jennifer said...

interesting...yes...you're about to take on a new identity too, huh?
MOTHER OF TWO.
you'll do just fine.

kustuck said...

that's nice to hear...i hope you're right! i can't wait.

palomarace said...

ugh!!!! I wish those little buggers NEVER came and I was sitting here talking with you right now.

That's cool that Hudson was in town. It sounds like you guys had a good time.