11/30/07

Snow

August came home from school yesterday with an idea. He was told by a friend that if you sleep with a spoon under your pillow it will snow the next day. He mentioned this to me at dinner with a shy voice and asked if he could have a spoon before bed. I told him that I wasn't sure it would work. He then quietly mentioned that he already had the spoon in his room and couldn't he just try? When I agreed Hazel ran to the kitchen and opened the silverware drawer and ran back to her room.
Somewhere around 11:30 I heard a spoon drop to the floor in Hazel's room.
This morning both kids woke up pretty easily, they both had snow on their minds. Hazel was the first one to run to the window, sadly disappointed that the streets were dry. August was next, his eyes were sparkling, he just knew the spoon had worked. His shoulders slumped as the curtains parted...no snow. I felt as though I had let my children down and talked about how it may still snow today...there are 24 hours in a day and we should not give up hope.
Hazel sadly announced that she found her spoon on the floor this morning so it's probably her fault its not snowing. I reassured her that it was not her fault because the spoon was still under her pillow which was on the floor too.
Right before we left for school I checked the local weather. August was excited to see that there is a chance for snow both today and tomorrow. All is not lost. If he can believe in the power of a spoon I'm pretty sure we've got at least 2 more years of Santa left.

8 comments:

tania said...

aww, very sweet. i'll cross my fingers for snow for them :)

stephy said...

adorable. poor sweethearts!

Anonymous said...

Tell August you have to sleep with some POOP under your pillow for that to work. Or maybe it was FLAN. I can't remember. It was such a long time ago. Or maybe a rump roast in your bed. That Mickey put there. I think that works.

Dana said...

oh my gosh are you kidding me? this is a great story! I think I will use this as an illustration one day if I ever speak or write a book!

bandwidow said...

tell them that this story had me checking the window all day, i'm waiting for it too!

rachel said...

this is a great reminder to me, the power of the innocence of the child. i think i would have most likely told francis that his friend didn't know what he was talking about,...but there's so much magic in childhood that happens right under our adult noses and sometimes, they just have to experience the disappointments that accompany the magic.
and francis still believes in santa too...

Jennifer said...

poop bro- i will have august read your comment and then i'll enjoy his laughter.
dana- go for it! you'd write a great book.
ann- me too...kept looking at the sky and hoping and wishing for that snow.
rach- i know, right? i almost told him what i thought about the theory...i'm so glad i rolled with it. we're still watching and hopeful.

Bloomin' said...

I'm throwing away all our spoons. We will have to eat cereal with forks from now on.