1/3/07

it has not been a good start to this year.
i received heart breaking news from a friend today.
i didn't handle it well- the kids were busy doing some art as i frantically put things away from our trip. when trey called i was overwhelmed with emotion and i let him hear it. my 8 year old son watched with wide eyes. i knew he was watching so i went downstairs to continue the conversation. when i hung up the phone my 5 year old asked me a question and before i could answer her my son quickly announced that "mommy isn't in a good mood right now, she's sad."
i sat down with the kids and told them why i was sad. they both understood.
about an hour later the three of us sat down for dinner. my son asked if we could pray before we started eating so i asked him to go ahead.
here was his prayer:

Dear God,
Thank You for bringing us home safely. Thank You for my family. Thank You for everything You gave us. Bless the food and help it to make us healthy.
Please help (the family with the sad news) to be happy when they go away.
Amen

i stared at my 8 year old boy and started crying again. this boy said just the right thing. i was ranting around thinking about what i was loosing and my son was praying that they would just be happy. i could learn a lot from that boy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jen, If this is what I think it is, I am so sorry.

It's beautiful when kids surprise like that though huh?

Jennifer said...

...it is...i'm sad...and upset...and sad...and shocked.