12/10/06

mama said there'd be days like this

why does stripping and making beds always put me in the worst mood?
i've been working so hard at getting the kids to help out around the house...they're great at taking care of their plates, they're getting better at straightening up their rooms and they'll even take the trash/recycling out if they are asked.
today is the day we change our sheets. hazel's bed isn't difficult, it's a regular ole twin bed, easy to change...but august has one of those ikea loft beds. I HATE, HATE, HATE changing his sheets. so i asked them both to work on getting their sheets off while i changed my own bed. hazel zipped through it, even picked her new sheets (christmas pillow case made by my mom and red sheets to match). are you following me? i've just changed my sheets and hazel changed hers. what is august doing, you ask? oh, he spilled some water and is now complaining about having to clean that...
hazel went into his room and offered to take his pillow case off while he works on his bed. finally he gets his sheets off so i show him how to put the fitted sheet on...ok, i'm not expecting miracles here, i can barely do it myself but while i'm lifting his mattress i bump a book on his dresser which sets off a series of unfortunate events ending in his new bionicle in pieces on the floor.
*breath*
august starts to cry, hazel announces that she'll take august's sheets and pillow case down to the laundry room for him and i start in on how if august would only put his toys away where they belong when he's done playing with them then this would never have happened.
*breath*
i
sound
like
a
mother!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you crack me up and I love that I am able to start understanding where you are coming from as a new Mother - I see that it only gets better with time:)! I love your new blog Jenn and am truly enjoying checking in on things at your place I hope that we get to see you guys again really soon!

Jennifer said...

oh honey...you've got so much to look forward to!
as they say in the song, you've "only just begun..."

Anonymous said...

:)True - although Simon did scream at the top of his lungs in the restaraunt we were in tonight and a crazy lady accosted me on the street to let me know I should not have my child outside because SHE was cold...motherhood involves pleasing so many people :)...so you are certainly not chop liver the little present was for the "blog give away" I did on last Sunday's post Casey was one of the winners but I do need your address (again) to send you your very belated thank you card and so if you email it to me you might find your own suprise in your box soon...:)