3/18/10

Traditions


A long time ago, back when you could jam too many bodies into a full size van or a station wagon, back when we didn't have to wear seat belts, back when my brother Scott could curl up in the way back with a book and fall asleep, we used to look outside when we went on drives.
I know, sounds crazy, but we did! We watched the landscape change, we looked at fellow passengers and either waved or made faces at them. But mostly? My dad had us looking for birds. Hawks to be exact. We'd keep our eyes gazing up into the sky, towards the tops of trees.
The kid who found the hawk first always felt great. My dad would say, "Good eye Jenny!" or "Wow, I didn't see that one." or, "Yup, I noticed that one too!"

I've told my kids about this game. About how we'd have to keep our eyes peeled to see the difference between a big pigeon or a black bird and a hawk. I've told them about the good feeling I used to get whenever I found one.

My kids are just now getting it. They've spent most of their car time with their noses in their personal game systems. Recently we drove to Portland and we made them take half hour breaks between screen time. It wasn't half bad. We even played the alphabet game. Remember that one? Find the next letter on passing signs?

I still find myself looking up when I'm riding in the car. I still feel proud when I spy a hawk. Today, while the kids and I were driving to Bellevue to pick something up we saw a bald eagle. Funny how exciting it is to see one and yet I've seen two this week! I hope it never gets old.

No comments: