11/24/08

Holiday Baking



I've officially begun the Holiday Baking Season! My thoughts shifted directly towards the fudge Tania would make every Christmas. The Many Family looked forward to the fudge every year. The last year The Walsh Family lived in Washington we were given a copy of said fudge recipe and I have had it tucked away in my cupboard. I thought that maybe, if I never looked at it, never made it for myself the idea of them moving back to Boston would not register in my heart and mind. This year, I took the recipe out of the cupboard and started mixing the chocolate. It's time I accept the loss.
As the chips slowly melted in the pot I thought of Tania and the boys. Thought of how their lives have changed yet again with the new baby. And not just any old baby, no, they have themselves a baby girl! Oona. So lovely.
The fudge is alright, not as good as when Tania makes it, it'll never be that good!

The kids are out of school this week. Perfect timing if you ask me. We have minimal plans for the week and I think we're all loving that fact.
Tomorrow I have some wonderful lady friends coming over to do some more baking. I couldn't help but start a little something this evening...made August's favorite- pumpkin scones. They turned out pretty good this time. He can hardly wait till the morning!
I've got a recipe for cranberry pistachio biscotti that I'm going to attempt tomorrow, I'll let you know how they turn out.
Happy Holiday Baking Season!

2 comments:

bandwidow said...

oh man the fudge! i made some last year, and it was devoured! looking forward to this afternoon!

tania said...

thanks for writing this, jen. boy, i miss you and your family so much.... it seems especially so during this time of year, where we had fun holiday traditions like our christmas party, card making, wassail, etc. love you guys.

sounds like a fun and yummy afternoon planned! enjoy xo