10/25/07

Pumpkin Patch

As the second born child I am keenly aware of what I do with August and Hazel. I try to take as many pictures of H as I do A, try to cherish as many moments with them both as I can. The pitfall comes when it's time to go on field trips. As a rule, I hate them. Really, I just hate kids. Odd- I know as I'm a teacher but if I'm not in charge of said kids I find it very difficult to bear them. But...I went on the pumpkin patch field trip with A when he was in kindergarten and it was fun so when the paperwork came home for H I agreed to go.
Today was the day. I put on my shorter jeans and my new rain boots, layered my shirts and put on a warm vest with my scarf. I was ready.
The three of us made our way to school and H and I went right to her classroom because she warned me that they were leaving RIGHT AWAY and had to be in the room BEFORE the bell. The moms were to wait out in the hall while the teacher gave the students her expectations.
I looked across the hallway at the other mothers. They were dressed in orange and black. I kid you not! A few even had pumpkins of various sizes on their shirts and or ears! They were really excited to be going on this trip.
I made a b-line for the table where you could sign up to ride on the bus with all those kids (?!) or ask to ride in a car with another parent. I've served my time...I would not be riding that bus!
The van I made it in only had 2 other gals. The entire ride was full of conversations about potty training, how much they loved their mini vans and what they loved about our school. I could only really participate in the last conversation as I've completely forgotten potty training A and H...and...I do not love our mini van.
H was amazing throughout the field trip. She is so different from A. She just wanted to be with her friends and really didn't care to sit with or near me. I loved watching her enjoy herself.
August at the Pumpkin Patch in Kindergarten.Hazel at the Pumpkin Patch in Kindergarten.

7 comments:

Bloomin' said...

OMG, how is it possible that August ever looked so young!?

Oh, and, THANK YOU for not wearing seasonal holiday clothing or accessories. I just don't know what to do if you did!

Jennifer said...

I'd like to wear the crap out of a pumpkin and knock on your door just to see your face.

tania said...

what do you mean, you don't LOVE your minivan!? ;)
great post. m-i-s-s y-o-u alot

bandwidow said...

love that the brown hat makes an appearance in both photo's

rachel said...

hahahaha! i loved this! and this is exactly what i love about you!
i cringe with you: the bus, the other parents, the kids...are "we" really so few and far between?
but i gotta say: you look fabulous!

palomarace said...

look how happy those kiddos are!! and yes I agree with Rachel you DO look fabulous.

Jennifer said...

why thank you ladies...the cold autumn air must do me good i guess.