1/26/10

It's That Good!

The Many family has been eating at home lately. This is huge for us. We love to eat out. But we realized that we were spending all this money at restaurants and decided it was time to pull it together and start eating at home.
I really feel like the kids are eating better because of it. We have a salad most nights...and the kids EAT it! I know, sounds crazy, especially if you know August's eating habits.
August is our first child and we had no friends who were having kids when we did so we were pretty much on our own. These days I watch some of my friends who are having kids now and am amazed at the community they have surrounded themselves with. I'll be honest, I'm a bit jealous.
We fed August baby food. We didn't know about all the easy homemade food you can make and I feel that this early experience with food made him a bad eater now.
By the time I had Hazel I was working with kids and had access to many other moms who shared their wealth of information on what baby's can eat. I was making fresh food for her and freezing food for her and she'd eat and eat and eat. To this day that girl will try anything. My sister had her eating sushi when she was 4, she wasn't even phased when Aunt Kat called it Nemo.
So the idea of Hazel eating salad everyday is not surprising...but August?
A few years ago Ann gave me this cookbook. If you are in need of a go-to cookbook, this is the one you want. I haven't made a bad thing from it.
Tonight I made their Chicken Cesar Salad. I've made it a few times before without the chicken, but tonight it was going to be the main dish so I threw the chicken in it. It is SO GOOD! The best part is that there are no raw eggs in it. They use buttermilk to bind it instead. The kids eat it up. Two servings for both of them. It's that good!!

5 comments:

bandwidow said...

2 servings? Double Yum!

Allison Baer said...

Beautiful writing, Jenny! But I need to tell you that from the minute you had August you and Trey were phenomenal parents. I have always, really, always, been amazed at the patient and thoughtful stance you two take to parenting. I think, when I look back at how I raised my kids, I find things I wish I had done differently. But in the big scheme of life, they turned out pretty well. I have no doubt that your two children will do the same as they have models in their lives that are exceptional and loving. Food? Whatever....

tania said...

It really is such a huge responsibility and time commitment to make sure our kids are eating right!

That looks delicious :)

stephy said...

That's the best cookbook ever.

Jennifer said...

Aunt Allison, thanks for the encouraging words.
Steph- I knew you'd have this cookbook!
Tan- you should try it...you know if my kids will eat it yours would love it!
Ann- it's a really good recipe!