1/20/10

Changes

Things are changing around here. Amidst the arguing between August and Hazel and the problems at school we are seeing our son change from a little kid to a *gasp* preteen. He turned 11 back in December and if you've been here a while you'll remember that year 10 wasn't the easiest year for us. Eleven hasn't been a ball of fun either but we're seeing changes.

We've given August an alarm clock. I feel terrible doing this cruel thing as I hate alarm clocks.
The other night we had a few families over from school and one of the dads was telling us that his son (born the same year August was) has an alarm that he sets every weekday. Not only does he get up on his own, but get this: HE TAKES A SHOWER EVERY MORNING!!!! Yes, you read that right...those of you who have sons may know that they generally do not enjoy taking showers. In fact, I'll be telling August to take one tonight and instead of him just complying he will try to tell me that he just took one. At this point I'll remind him that he "just" took one two nights ago and that he smells because he had rollerskating in PE today...he'll finally huff his way to the bathroom where I'll ask him if he brought in clean underwear and I'm sure you can guess what his response will be...
Anyway, can you believe that? A preteen who is self motivated to get up and be ready for the day? Well the alarm clock will go off tomorrow morning at 8:00am. I'm just praying that he crawls out of bed right when it goes off so that I don't have to hear it.


About a week ago August asked if he could start packing his own lunch. This request came after he told me that one of his friends had a Nutella and jelly sandwich in his lunch. I suggested that he probably packed it himself and that his mom had no idea what he was eating. I thought he was joking about wanting to pack his lunch so I didn't bother answering.
Then, at the beginning of this week he asked again. So I let him. The first day he packed an almond butter and jelly sandwich, chips, an orange and a zbar. The second day I suggested he pack a sandwich with meat in it which he did. He's since gone back and forth between almond butter and lunch meat. He always packs a piece of fruit and a bar with is sandwich.
I'm pretty okay with his new found independence.

Next year will be his first year in middle school. Not sure that I'm ready for that, but I am ready for him waking up on his own and packing his own lunch...baby steps, baby steps.

6 comments:

bandwidow said...

really nice post jen. and i like the new layout, the color palate kindof reminds me of being in your house.

p.s. already not looking forward to the boy shower strikes...

Jennifer said...

Hey Ann,
I thought so too...so it's kinda like hanging out in my living room while you read the posts.

Monica said...

Love the new colors!!

Set his alarm clock to go off as music! Both Emma and Lauren wake up to whatever song they choose..they love it...and you already know I make them shower...I am a mean, mean mom!!! J/k...luckily Emma pops out of bed by herself and just takes a shower..now Laure, I have to do a bit more prodding with her!! ;)

tania said...

August is just growing up too fast... they all are! Lovely post.

rachel said...

nice post, jen!
i'm still not ready for middle school, (or the 7am wake-up calls) (or the 7:45am drives to school) and we're already 4 months into it...(sigh)...i'm already counting down when school will be done.

Jennifer said...

Good idea Monica! I'm going to try that this week.
Tan, I know.
Rach, me too! We're half way through the school year right now...woot!