9/19/08

Chicago Ramblings

I was born in Chicago, in Ravenswood Hospital to be exact. I'm not sure where we lived when I was born, but I know that I grew up at 4610 N Paulina. It was a beautiful old Victorian house on a then, not so great street. I've been back as an adult and the street is so much better now...and the house looks just as beautiful!
We lived in Chicago until I was 12 and going into 6th grade. We went to Addison Street Congregational Church where I had many, many good times. I went to a small school called Pilgrim Lutheran Church and School where I had many, many good times as well. I poked around the website for the school and there are 2 teachers who are STILL teaching there! One of them was my favorite...Mr. Knuth, he taught me how to whistle.
I'm telling you all this because I've been a busy internet girl again...while in Chicago I had a friend named Dawn. We were good friends with plans all laid out for our futures...but then we moved.
I was always a good letter writer and tried to keep up with her and her family but as time moved on we lost track of each other. Then, in 1987 my family went back to Chicago to visit during the holiday season. Our church had a big party in a hall where all I remember is that people were dressed up in crazy outfits...strange memories...Dawn was there and we reconnected which led to many more letters. Letters not only from Dawn but from her mom and one of her brothers as well.
I have not been successful at finding her but the other evening I did find her brother and their mom happened to be with him. I've been so excited at the thought of reconnecting with this family.
I'm so far removed from my life in Chicago. I remember the exact year when I realized that I had lived outside of Chicago longer than I had lived in the city. It was a sad realization for me. I struggle even now answering where I'm from. I want to say that I'm from Chicago but then I'm asked all kinds of questions about living there and all I can say is that I loved living there as a child. My brother and I still have the Chicago accent though, which makes me so proud.
Living in Seattle makes me think that Hazel and August may have the same experiences I had growing up in a city. Hazel already has a little friend who lives down the street who she's known for a few years now and August has Francis. I am so hopeful that my kids will be able to stay connected with their friends as they transition into young adults...


***Just heard back from Dawn!! The last time I saw her was in 1987 and we're emailing like time hasn't passed! I'm thrilled to no end.

3 comments:

rachel said...

that's wonderful!
childhood leaves such a strong impression in our hearts, sometimes even stronger than highschool. they are memories that are strong, a lot of "firsts" in there, and they stay with us forever i think. our childhood is a huge part of who we are as adults, i don't think we ever outgrow that.

rachel said...

that's wonderful!
childhood leaves such a strong impression in our hearts, sometimes even stronger than highschool. they are memories that are strong, a lot of "firsts" in there, and they stay with us forever i think. our childhood is a huge part of who we are as adults, i don't think we ever outgrow that.

rachel said...

oops, i double clicked.
sorry for the double entry.