6/23/08

Childhood


I've been really watching Hazel these last few days. yesterday we were able to spend some time swimming at the gym and eating her favorite food and doing nails and watching the new Disney musical movie. I watched her as the lead boy and girl finally sang their song together, their hands touching as they gazed into each other's eyes. I watched my girl lift her own hands to her face with a look of complete awe and hope. I watched and I got a bit sad. Trey and I have had these conversations many times...the ones about how movies and TV have distorted everyone's idea of romance...I saw Hazel get a bit distorted last night. She's so many years away from having to worry about boys and kissing but she's so hopeful already. I overheard her say that she wanted to "make-out" with the neighbors boy cousin the other day...MAKE-OUT!!! When I asked her what that meant she told me, with conviction, that it meant going into the bathroom and kissing on the lips. What?
August and Hazel and I took a short walk up the street to the local grocery store because I ran out of olive oil...can't have Ann-Kresten's Salmon without it! As we were walking Hazel asked if she could run the block. And then I watched her run. She ran with no thoughts of how she looked, or how much energy it would take to make the entire block, she just ran full speed and laughed the whole time. I remember that. I remember running up hills and down blocks and just not caring...until my neighbor asked if I wanted to join cross country...then I cared...and I hated it. She would coax me into running just a little bit longer...just to the next mailbox...just to the next street sign. I hated it. I want to encourage Hazel to love it. To love being outside and in the sun and using every bit of energy she has in her cute little body. I love watching this little girl grow up.

3 comments:

tania said...

really sweet :) we love you hazel.

xo

bandwidow said...

such a lovely gal you're got.

Dana said...

You are such a great mom! Keep her innocent and remind her what real love is by the way you love her and Trey!!! It really is such a gift my parents gave me!