9/25/07

Connections

I grew up in the church. When we lived in Chicago we attended Addison Street Congregational Church and went to Pilgrim Lutheran School. The summer before 6th grade we moved to a suburb of Chicago and attended a Christian Missionary Alliance Church, then we moved to South Lyon, Michigan a year later and started going to to a Southern Baptist Church until we were asked to leave because we adopted a black child (but that's another story). After the Southern Baptist church we went to another Baptist church in Novi, Michigan. All this to say I know a lot of Bible stories and can still sing many, many children's church songs.
As an adult I've struggled with how I want my children to feel about church. I really want it to be something they have ownership over, I want them to want to go. I want them to have friends that they look forward to seeing. August is going through a phase lately where he just doesn't like going to Sunday school so we've suggested that he come sit with us during the service.
The first time he did it we allowed him to draw during the sermon and he did just fine. He's continued to come upstairs with us anytime his teachers aren't teaching because he doesn't like to be in a combined class.
This last Sunday Trey was playing drums during worship so I was happy to have my son next to me. The music started and we all stood up. We don't sing songs from hymnals at this church, we steer more towards the praise songs. August stood up but couldn't see the words projected on the screen so he hopped on the chair next to me. We stood just about head to head and I smiled at my big boy.
August was singing out out loud with a strong, happy voice. He read the words and sang them with passion. I leaned over toward his ear and whispered, "Do you know who you're singing to?" He looked at me wide eyed and said, "GOD!!!"
I loved to sing as a child. I loved knowing the words to every song and belting them out loud. I looked at my son and saw myself in him.
Later during the service the Pastor was talking about epic tales- Moses, Joseph, Chronicles of Narnia (at which point August starts to bounce in his chair), the pastor continues, "I don't know if anyone has ever heard of STAR WARS?" August, out loud announces, "OH, I HAVE!"
The pastor continues with his talk and August, ears open, ready to hear, ready to listen, whispers, "oh, please say something else I know."
I watched my son learn about God.

7 comments:

rachel said...

how wonderful!thank you for sharing that. it brought tears to my eyes.

bandwidow said...

It was a very emotional experience to sit with you and listen to his determined singing on Sunday. I've thought back to it many times since, and can say that it was the best part of my day. You make me happy August Many.

tania said...

this was sweet to read, jen. i think that you and trey do a really great job building a faith foundation for your kids.

Jennifer said...

it was great...kinda makes me want his teachers to never show up...

melissa said...

this is so inspiring...thanks jen!

palomarace said...

That August... I just love him!!!!
he makes me smile!!!!

Jenny said...

this is adorable...oh how I've missed our little church. Jeff and I kind of took the summer off without really discussing it. Maybe I'll see you this Sunday.

BTW, I'm kind of catching up on your blog..hope you don't mind.;)