8/14/09

Working for the Weekend

Trey has spent so many weekends away from home this summer. It sure makes for looonnng weeks...but this weekend he's home!! I'm not even sure what we'll do with ourselves, but it's gonna be good either way.

Last week the kids and I spent some time at the Experience Music Project because they had a great Jim Henson exhibit. I was so emotional as I walked through the brightly colored rooms. Each sketch on the wall became some well loved character who played a role in my childhood.

It's not easy being green...good ole Kermit sitting among all that green...I felt his pain as he sang his sad song.
Here's one of my favorites, these guys were actually on display:
Jim was a visual thinker and all his notes were a combination of words and drawings- often very colorful, making even the most simple scribble look like work worthy of a frame. I remember watching Fraggle Rock but having no idea that his inspiration was to unite folks.http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/fraggletop1.jpg
Of course we all grew up watching Sesame Street. I was happy to turn it on for August when he was a baby, and also for Hazel, knowing that they would love the neighbors just as much as I had when it was my turn to learn. His imagination knew no bounds...he was an inspiration.
Some of the walls in the exhibit had fur covering them, the same fur, we were told, that Jim used for his creations. Hazel spent some precious moments petting them, wondering what Jim could make out of something so fuzzy and bright.

3 comments:

tania said...

what a neat exhibit! so glad trey will be around this weekend. i know what it's like- even though tim hasn't been away, he's been working so much and it can make for long weeks for everyone. enjoy some much needed family time! :)

tania said...

by the way- awesome picture of august and hazel! i just can't believe how fast they are growing up. miss you guys!

bandwidow said...

i love the new pic! and what a cool exhibit.